Governance Of ZESCO
ZESCO is governed by a Board of Directors which is appointed by Government with wide consultations and participation of the private sector.
To support the Board in the running of ZESCO, is the Management Executive Board headed by the Managing Director and assisted by Directors.
ZESCO currently has 7 directorates and these are Corporate Affairs & Business Development, Finance, Transmission, Generation, Distribution Supply and Customer Service, Human Resources & Administration and Legal. For our Mission statement, Values, and Vision Click Here
Historical Background of Electricity Development in Zambia
The electricity supply in Zambia originated in 1906 when a small thermal station was built in Livingstone to serve a section of the town.
Inspite of the Victoria Falls potential, it was not until 1938 that hydro-electric power was first generated at a small station in the third gorge below the falls.
In the early part of the last century, power development was mainly associated with the Copper mines hence, several independent thermal stations were constructed.
This meant that a number of local authorities distributed electricity in their own districts obtaining their supplies in the main from existing power stations. For instance, Livingstone local authorities bought power from the Victoria Falls Electricity Board while Kabwe and the Copperbelt authorities purchased power from the mining companies.
The first initiative to coordinate power generation was taken in the early 1950s when at least four stations with a combined 120MW capacity were connected to a central switching station at Kitwe.
The next major development was the construction of 220 Kv transmission line in 1956 to connect the Copperbelt power systems with a transmission system in the Shaba Province of the Congo to enable the load growth in the mines to be satisfied by imported hydroelectric power.
The most significant development in the electricity supply situation took place between 1956 and 1962 when the Kariba dam and consequently the Kariba South Power Station were constructed.
The Kariba South power station was owned and operated by Central Africa Power Corporation (CAPCO) which, in turn, was jointly owned by the governments of Southern and Northern Rhodesia ( presently Zimbabwe and Zambia) This development, necessitated the transmission of power lines of 330 Kv to the Copperbelt mines in the north of Northern Rhodesia (Zambia). Intermediate substations at Leopards Hill and Kabwe were also erected. There were also a number of bulk supply centres in Rhodesia giving the 330 Kv system a total length of 2,700 Kilometres.
The next major step in making hydro-electric power potential abundant in Central Africa was taken with the construction of Kafue gorge Power Station to be an alternative to the Kariba scheme. Soon after independence in 1964, the Zambian government revived the project and preliminary work began in July 1967.
The first generating unit was commissioned in 1971 and the project was completed in 1973.
The project had an initial capacity of 600 MW using four units but this was later increased to six units with an installed capacity of 900 MW. Connection to the grid was provided through 330 Kv lines to Leopards Hill Substation.
The Victoria Falls power station was built in three phases. The first was done in!938 while the second station was built underground giving an additional 60 MW in 1969. The third station was completed in 1972 providing an installed capacity of 108 MW.
In addition to the interconnected transmission system which served the most developed areas in the country ranging from Mongu in the West to Livingstone in the south, Lusaka and Copperbelt in the North, there was need to develop isolated systems in terms of smaller hydro stations at Chishimba falls, Lusiwasi, Lunzua river and Musonda falls.
Isolated diesel power stations were also made in various places . Two hydro stations were developed at Mulungushi and Lunsemfwa river to provide reliable power supply for Broken Hill (Kabwe) Copper Mines.